Nearly half of our nation's children are impacted by adverse childhood experiences (ACEs), and 64% of men and women acknowledge experiencing at least one ACE in their lifetime. The toxic stress experienced from childhood adversity increases a child's likelihood for health, behavioral, and learning problems.
At Spirit Reins, we work with individuals and families impacted by trauma to...
heal the past
build hope for the future
strengthen families & communities
Pulmonary Lung Disease
The likelihood of chronic disease increases with each ACE. At 4+ ACEs:
With the guidance of our licensed mental health professionals and the help of our horses, our clients are able to feel and experience safety, undo the shame associated with experiences beyond their control, and learn to build healthy relationships.
The Spirit Reins Way
Here you are herd.
* having basic needs met (food, water, etc.)
* personal safety
* genuine self-care
* practicing safe vulnerability
* setting boundaries
Regulation & Relationship Skills
* grounding and regulation activities
* identifying feelings and emotions
* insight into verbal and nonverbal behaviors
* processing trauma
* developing a sense of self
* learning how to make healthy connections
Building & Maintaining Relationships
* finding purpose in our stories
* activating cognitive (higher) area of the brain
* healthy emotion-regulation capacities
* tool and skills for relational success
* building healthy, connected relationships
* building resilience for the future
To find your ACEs score, visit acestoohigh.com
ACEs are stressful or traumatic events that interrupt healthy growth and development. ACEs have been linked to risky health behaviors, chronic health conditions, low life potential, and early death.
Image Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Credit: Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
Possible Effects of Toxic Stress:
Prolonged activation of stress response system
Disrupted brain development
Changes in hormonal system
Memory, learning, multitasking difficulties
Immune system depression
Understanding Trauma, Adverse Childhood Experiences, and Toxic Stress
Client, Age 10
Thank you for changing my life. I'm not sure where I'd be in life if it weren't for you.
We have been in such a desperate place with our son. Then we found Spirit Reins. We finally have hope and concrete direction where we are going.
Client, Age 12
Spirit, my horse, taught me things about myself I never knew possible. I have friends, I am confident, and I am happy.
We need your help.
9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Monday - Friday
2055 County Rd. 284
Liberty Hill, TX 78642
1. Child and Adolescent Health Measurement Initiative. “Survey Results.” Data and Resource Center for Child & Adolescent Health, CAHMI, www.childhealthdata.org/browse/survey/results?q=2614&r=1&r2=45.
2. “Violence Prevention.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1 Apr. 2016, www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/acestudy/about_ace.html.
3. Hyra, Allison, and Jessica R. Kendall. “OP-ED: Translating the Science of Childhood Stress Into Youth Service Practice.” Juvenile Justice Information Exchange, Kennesaw State University, 6 Sept. 2018, jjie.org/2015/04/29/translating-the-science-of-childhood-stress-into-youth-service-practice/.
Spirit Reins |2055 County Road 284 | Liberty Hill, TX 78642
Spirit Reins is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. EIN Tax ID 06-1692909.